Monday, September 28, 2015

working on me

Image via
I don't know that this is important for me to say, or if I'll regret putting this out in public, but I am engaging proactively in my mental health. For the last three years, I have been dealing with some pretty severe periods of anxiety and depression. Whether this correlates directly to my move to a new country, or financial stresses that took place the year before I left New York, or was just something laying dormant in me forever that finally has worsened, I can't be sure. And I suppose it probably is a combination of each of these things. But I think it's time to figure out a better way to live with this.

For me, each of these periods of anxiety/depression mostly manifest themselves around work stresses of late. And while I have now dipped my toes into the therapy waters, I think it's time to get a single person to develop a relationship with, and to include a single physician into the discussion as well. I don't know if medication is something I need or would want, but I am not sure this effort is something I'll be able to take on just with working on changing my mindsets and habits. And in case medicine would help, I want to have a doctor who will have been with me through the whole journey of reaching that conclusion.

I think I am just putting this out into the internet as a means to keep myself accountable. And perhaps for me to look back at how things were after I've been immersed in working on my mental health a bit more. It's an exhausting, constant work-in-progress, to get through life. And if I can get some tips or tricks or pills that might help life feel less overwhelming, I'm ready for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment